Thursday, March 01, 2007

Getting the finger (back to healthy)

Sometime in January I got an infection around the base and cuticle of my right index finger. I'm not sure how; anyway, it was annoying, and late in the month I finally decided to try lancing and draining it. That helped a little, but I didn't do a very good job of it. The infection got worse, home treatment didn't help, and when I saw my nail starting to turn white (the infection spreading underneath) I finally went to a walk-in clinic, figuring this wasn't so complicated I should try for my regular physician or the local emergency room.

I was right, it wasn't complicated. I asked the attending doctor if I might lose the nail; he replied it was possible, but that it would grow back, no permanent harm. That was encouraging. The doctor prescribed me two different antibiotics, standard ten-day courses, and decided to perform his own lancing, telling me he was going to pierce my fingernail. That gave me pause, as it sounded, well, unpleasant. I asked if he was going to give me a local anasthetic. Nope. I said it sounded painful; he replied it would only be a little bit so, said he was going to get his "drilling kit", and left for a few minutes.

I got to sit there, thinking about what having my un-numbed fingernail pierced would be like.

The doctor came back with, oh, a double-aught gauge hypodermic, or something about that size. I held my hand flat on the table on a pad, and he cored a hole into the center back end of my nail. Yes, it hurt; not nearly the worst pain I've ever had, and I didn't flinch, but it hurt. He inspected his work and decided he hadn't gotten deep enough; the needle re-cored my nail. Deeper hurts worse; but this time he struck oil, or at least blood, which leaked out a good bit. Then he had me immerse my finger into a cup of peroxide for a few minutes; it foamed up like a high school science project volcano, killing the bad things and cleaning my finger quite well. When a nurse came around to clean and bandage my finger, there was only a little bit of peroxide left in the cup. She wrapped a complicated, full-finger bandage around my digit and told me to keep it on for two days. It lasted 36 hours, but I re-wrapped it well after the first bandage gave up. A checkup four days later resulted in a prognosis that the healing was well underway and to continue with the antibiotics and general cleaning and bandaging.

I finished the antibiotics earlier this week; the infection is long dead. The back end of my nail, which was starting to become visible when I went to the clinic, is now well up my finger, and a bit of baby nail material is growing behind it. Here, have a look:



The yellowish area is where my nail has separated from the finger. I typically keep an adhesive bandage on it during the day, mainly to prevent it from snagging on anything and possibly separating more. It doesn't hurt but I see no point in letting it get abused more. Earlier today I did something to further prevent snag potential, something which, I expect, few people have ever done. It only took a few seconds.

Today I trimmed the back of my fingernail.

Anyway... glad to have my finger heading back to healthy (even if it looks weirdly mangled). My kids find it amusing, and I got a strong reminder not to let infections linger. My arm still tenses a bit when I think of the piercing.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I have had a similar thing happened to me. However, instead of an infection, I trapped my finger in a door and the nail began to separate from the finger. I did the same thing with the trimming too; trimmed it from the back, to prevent snagging. Has yours grown back to normal now? The doctor told me that it was unlikely mine would grow back because of nerve damage or something, however there are now signs of it re-emerging. I have a pic of my finger, taken a few weeks back, here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattwood/2283940823/

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site cmcoherent.blogspot.com
Is this possible?