Monday, June 04, 2007

Onward through the fog

Subsequent to the lightning strike, I pulled out all the PC gear from the office and diagnosed each component. For the most part everything worked. But my OS had been acting dodgy, and at a suggestion from a valued geek friend, I bought a new, bigger hard drive with the intent of giving it a clean install of the PC OS I use (Windows 2000) and porting over all the important data -- mainly the family picture archive, but there's some other things I want to keep as well. Some tax records, things I've written, assorted baseball data, a few games and apps, my eBay records.

An eternal pox upon the scabrous head of Bill Gates. I have no idea exactly what went wrong, and I'm certain that the drives are not cooked (the data is still there; there's no reason either one would be erased), but right now my PC isn't working at all. So tomorrow I'm off to Dallas for some personal tech service, which I hope will bring things back to life.

This is just so, so wrong. Technology is meant to serve us. I am so disgusted that I'm thisclose to simply bailing and buying a new PC box loaded with Vista. I hate that seven-year old technology is doing this. Thankfully I have my Mac, which rarely barfs, and never so badly.

Anyway... here's hoping that tomorrow brings recovery.

No comments: