Thursday, February 15, 2007

February Blues

I don't much like February. It's typically a cold, dreary month, and this year it's been even moreso. Whereas the cold usually has started to crack by now, this year it's hanging on with annoying tenacity. And, most days, it's also been overcast and gloomy -- not the sort of useful cloud cover that brings good, soaking rain, just gloom and maybe a enough mist to annoy and distract.

I'm content to endure February but I'll never like it. Yes, my son's birthday is in the middle of it and, while Valentine's Day hasn't been important to me in ages, it makes for an excuse for a few nice touches among the family (the kids like it certainly). At least February is the shortest month, though every four years we drag it out longer by adding that extra day. Really, wouldn't we all more appreciate an extra day in summer or fall? Maybe July 32nd, or September 31st? Those would be useful days. February 29th is like punishment.

My nose is a train wreck and my sinuses refuse to dry out in this cold, clammy, crap weather and I'm cranky and crabby about it. G'night.

No comments: