Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Mayor Of South Austin, Danny Roy Young, 1941-2008

Danny Young was an Austinite in the very fullest sense of the term. He was a musician, he was one of nature's talkers (about anything), and he ran a fun, warmly welcoming restaurant that delivered fine food with the friendliest service.

Sadly, his Texicalli Grille closed in 2007, and though there were mentions that it would reopen in a new location, it never did. Danny apparently enjoyed his retirement from the day-to-day bustle of running a restaurant, and I cannot blame him for that. I really enjoyed dining at the Texicalli -- I was addicted to a particular salad, but on the times I'd opt for a sandwich, I was always satisfied. And the Texicalli always used linen napkins, which is a nice and rare touch. There were no strangers at the Texicalli, nor mere customers -- everyone was a friend. The staff didn't bother bringing me a menu unless I asked, and a glass of ice tea always hit my table within a minute of sitting down. Danny talked to anyone and everyone, either greeting briefly if the place was busy or at length if he had the time, and he was always glad to see everyone. My folks once visited and we took them to the Texicalli, and Danny held court with them for at least half an hour. It was the first restaurant we visited after our daughter was born, and she slept in her carrier while Val and I ate.

We miss the Texicalli, and now we miss Danny as well. He died of a heart attack last week. The food and the music in the great beyond just got better, but life here, in Austin and parts elsewhere, is that much less for his leaving.

An appreciation.

No comments: